How do I Create a Certificate Signing Request (CSR)?
Posted by Alpha Daramy on 19 February 2008 05:54 PM
Follow these instructions to generate a Private Key and CSR for your Web site.
- The first step is to create a private key. Login to cPanel and click the SSL Manger icon.
- From the SSL Manger click Private Keys (KEY).
- Enter your host name (e.g., 'www.mysite.com') under Generate a New Key and press Generate.
- The next step is to create a Certificate Signing Request (CSR). Navigate back to the SSL Manager page.
- Select Certificate Signing Requests (CSR).
- Fill out the form for the CSR under Generate a New Certificate Signing Request.
- When creating a CSR you must follow these conventions. Enter the information to be displayed in the certificate. The following characters cannot be accepted: < > ~ ! @ # $ % ^ / \ ( ) ? , &
CSR Input Fields
|Common Name (CN)
(host name, FQDN, etc.)
|The fully qualified domain name for your web server. This must be an exact match.
||If you intend to secure the URL https://www.domain.com, then your CSR's common name must be "www.domain.com".
For https://secure.domain.com it must be "secure.domain.com".
For just https://domain.com it must be just "domain.com".
For https://owa.mailserver.net it must be "owa.mailserver.net".
A Wildcard for https://sub.primary-domain.com must be "*.primary-domain.com". The asterisk must be included for Wildcard CSR's.
||The exact legal name of your organization. Do not abbreviate your organization name.
||Metro Realty LLC or Flowers by Jenny
|Organizational Unit (OU)
||Section of the organization
||Sales Division or IT or Marketing
|City or Locality (L)
||The city where your organization is legally located. Cannot be abbreviated.
|State (S) or Province
||The state or province where your organization is legally located. Cannot be abbreviated.
||The two-letter ISO abbreviation for your country.
||US, CA, GB, (must be two-letters)
||Any email address. This field is arbitrary but must be filled in. GeoTrust will not use this email address to process your order.
|Key Bit Length
||The key bit length has to do with the initial key exchange, not the encryption strength of your certificate.
||GeoTrust recommends a key bit length of at least 1024
- Select the Generate button to generate the CSR.
- Click the View button to view your new CSR and copy-and-paste it into a simple text file.
- Save a copy of your CSR. The CSR will be needed during the purchase process. You'll be asked to copy-and-paste your CSR into a special CSR box.
Below is an example of what your CSR will look like. This is a example only and cannot be used to generate your SSL certificate.
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----
-----END CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----