How would I migrate my files to a VPS account?
Posted by Alpha Daramy on 27 August 2008 06:19 PM
1. Log into WHM of your new server and create a new account called "restore", or anything you like for that matter. Remember the FTP address, username ('restore', in this example), and account password. We will need these for later.
2. Log into the cPanel account you are wanting to transfer on the old server.
3. Click on "Backup >> Generate/Download a Full Backup".
4. Once here, select the backup destination to be "Remote FTP Server".
5. Enter your email address for verification, followed by all of the FTP account information for "restore", which we created on the new server.
-Remote Server: new server's address
Then, click "Generate Backup". This may take some time to backup the files, depending on how large the account is. You should receive an email specified in the above info once it is complete.
6. Now, log into SSH on your new server.
7. Type in the following commands:
After running the list command above (ls), you should see the tar file of the account on the old server. This means that you have successfully sent the file via FTP to your new server.
8. Now move the tar file to your new server's /home directory with the following command:
mv tar_file_name /home
9. Now, log into WHM on your new server and navigate to "Backup >> Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file"
Once here, you should see the old account's username under "Possible cpmove archives found:".
10. Type in the account name in the text field in WHM, which is proceeded by "Enter the username for the account you wish to restore:".
11. Click "Restore".
12. Repeat process for additional accounts.