Knowledgebase: ASP.NET/Classic ASP Hosting
Getting error "server principal is not able to access database"
Posted by - NA - on 21 October 2009 02:19 PM
I get this error when trying to connect to my database using SQL Management Studio 2008. "The server principal "username" is not able to access the database "some_database_name" under the current security context. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 916)" |
This error can be encountered when connecting to either SQL 2005 or SQL 2008 databases servers using SQL 2008 Management Studio.
As you may notice, the error message indicates a problem connecting to a database that you do not own. This is caused by SQL 2008 Management Studio attempting to query certain system settings that customers do not have access to.
To resolve this issue do the following:
1. Open SQL Management Studio 2008 on your local Computer
2. Connect to the database server
3. In the Object Explorer, click "Databases"
4. Select View >>> Object Explorer Details
5. Right click on the column headers
6. And Uncheck the Following Items:
-Database Space Used (KB)
-Index Space Used (KB)
-Space Available (KB)
-Default File Group
7. Right click on Databases and select Refresh
1. Within SQL Server Management Studio, view Object Explorer Details window by selecting View, Object Explorer Details in menu (or hitting F7)
2. Right-click on the column header and unselect 'Collation.'
3. Refresh the server in Object Explorer and enumerate the databases