1. Create an MS SQL 2005 database and database user using Plesk under the domain that needs the DB.
2. SQL Server Management Studio which is available for free from
3. The IP address of the computer/server you wish to connect from.
1. Start SQL Server Management Server Studio.
2. Click the 'Register Servers' icon on the toolbar.
3. The Register Servers panel should now be visible in the left hand frame, with a single node 'Database Engine'. Right click on the node Database Engine and from the context menu that appears select New > Server Registration.
4. The 'New Server Registration' window should now be visible.
a. Server Type: Database Engine
b. Server Name: Enter the Public IP Address of the database server, this information can be obtained from your Database Manager within your Plesk Control Panel for the domain, under the database name, for example 126.96.36.199
c. Authentication: SQL Server Authentication
d. Login: The database username you created in your Database Manager within your Plesk Control Panel for the domain.
e. Password: The database username password you created in your Database Manager within your Plesk Control Panel for the domain.
Click Test - If everything is working you should get a message 'The connection was tested successfully.'
below are some error messages and possible causes if you did not;
'An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)'
Please ensure that your CURRENT IP address has been added to the Trusted Zone of the Database Servers Fire Wall.
'Testing the registered server failed. Verify the server name, login credentials, and database, and then click Test again.'
Please check that you have the Server Name, Username and Password entered correctly, if you are unsure you can check the database username and reset the password from your Database Manager within your Plesk Control Panel.
Once you are able to successfully test the connection click 'Save'
1. You will now have an additional node under the 'Database Engine' in the Registered Server Panel in the left hand frame. To connect to your database simply right click on it and from the context menu select 'Connect > New Query' or 'Connect > Object Browser' depending on what task you wish to do.
If you still are receiving errors please contact us at: